Technology and Standards
Mediation Metrics are set by or for specific broadband customers in their mediation policy. The definition and whether the parameter is mandatory or optional is described below:
- κ (mandatory)
- Maximum Bandwidth offered to Broadband Subscriber for Best-Effort Service.
- τ (mandatory)
- Minimum unthrottled Bandwidth offered to Broadband Subscriber for Best-Effort Service.
- σ (optional)
- Time, in seconds, before a best-effort (aggregate flow?) above τ will be throttled during congestion. This parameter is set on behalf of the broadband service provider based on the service level specification for best-effort service.
- ν (optional)
- Maximum sustained bandwidth offered for high-latency, low packet loss service (appropriate for non-interactive streaming).
- Ζ (optional)
- Maximum sustained bandwidth offered to throttled flows (which have exceeded σ seconds of best-effort use). This metric need not be hard set. The value may float based on capacity.
- ψ (optional)
- Maximum interactive service bandwidth offered to low-latency, low packet loss service (appropriate for interactive streaming such as video-conferencing, and voice).
- β (optional)
- Maximum ultra-low latency, ultra-low packet loss service bandwidth (appropriate for SAN, gaming and other specialized applications).